Semester: Wintersemester 2016/2017
EN1 English for Studying at German Universities 1: Understanding Academic Texts
- Dienstag: 10:00 - 12:00, wöchentlich
For many study subjects at university, students need to have a good knowledge of English. This knowledge is either required before registration or necessary to read academic/scientific texts and to follow lectures in English. In this course, we will, therefore, learn how to best understand such texts and lectures. We will focus on typical aspects of examples from various academic fields. Enough knowledge to read simple English texts is required, but experience with academ-ic language is not necessary. You will gain such experience in this course as we will discuss the different strategies to grasp the meaning of an academic text or lecture.
In particular, we will cover the following topics:
- understanding what makes a text academic;- expanding your knowledge of academic vocabulary;
- preparing the reading of an academic text;
- reflecting on the process of reading;
- recognizing the general idea of a text;
- looking for details in academic texts;
- grasping the overall structure of an academic text or lecture;
- developing strategies for listening to simple lectures;
- taking notes during class lectures;
- becoming familiar with university-related expressions.
This course is designed for refugees in their Orientierungsjahr as well as for all other interna-tional students. A mandatory placement test for this course will take place before the beginning of the semester.