Semester: Wintersemester 2016/2017
5.06.300 Solar Energy Systems - Electric and Thermal
- Montag: 08:00 - 12:00, wöchentlich
Students gain knowledge on:
• the characteristics of components of solar thermal and photovoltaic systems e.g. solar power conversion, charge controllers, storages, miscellaneous components (pumps, cabling, ...), their individual efficiency, their dynamic behaviour, their cut-in conditions.
• the architecture and operation of different solar thermal and photovoltaic systems
• the system characteristics
• the energy balance of systems
• the sensor system for controlling and monitoring of thermal and electric solar systems.
Students gain skills on
• describing properties of solar system components
• monitoring and evaluating solar system components
• describing solar systems in their operation, their efficiency, their performance parameters
Student’s competence will be
• to compare solar thermal systems to solar electric systems in terms of energy output, type of energy output, cut in radiation and dependencies on meteorological input.
• to compare solar systems to other renewable energy systems in terms of energy output, type of energy output, cut in radiation and dependencies on meteorological input.
On the basis of theoretical knowledge students will be enabled to establish measurement procedures to analyse characteristics of grid connected and stand-alone solar PV systems as well as solar thermal systems. They are skilled to apply standard physical and mathematical formulae to evaluate solar systems. At the end of Solar Energy I and Solar Energy II they will have gained understanding in energy transfer paths and energy loss principles for radiative energy. Students will have gained the competence to analyse and critical review data from solar systems – both electrical and thermal.
Description of solar system’s components in stationary and dynamic operation:
• their functioning,
• the different technologies,
• the state of the art
• their characteristics and working points
- Photovoltaics (PV): PV-cells, generator, charge controller, inverter, storage (batteries) miscellaneous components (cabling, generator stand, electric protection)
- Solarthermal: Collectors (flat plate, vacuum tube, concentrating systems), thermal storage, charge controller, miscellaneous components (circulation pumps, piping, heat insulation)
Description of systems in stationary and dynamic operation
• technical setup
• interaction of components
• energy output
• loss mechanisms
- Photovoltaic Systems: PV stand-alone systems, PV grid connected systems, photovoltaic pumping systems, hybrid systems
- Solar Thermal Systems: Domestic hot water supply, heating supporting systems, concentrating solar thermal systems.
- PB 77 Specialization II
- pb077 Specialisation II
- phy340 Vertiefungsmodul I
- phy663 Specialization I
- pre130 Solar Energy
- pre313 Solar Energy
- wir915 Erneuerbare Energiesysteme
- Bereich Erneuerbare Energien
- Studium generale / Gasthörstudium
- Sustainability Economics and Management
Für Gasthörende / Studium generale geöffnet:
Anzahl der freigegebenen Plätze für Gasthörende
Hinweise zum Inhalt der Veranstaltung für Gasthörende
Introduces to electric and thermal solar energy systems by describing components and system operation.