Semester: Sommersemester 2015
5.3 Academic Writing in English, Module 2
- Di., 03.03.2015, 08:30 - 16:30
- Di., 10.03.2015, 08:30 - 16:30
English-speaking readers expect good academic texts to not only present innovative research but also to follow particular formal principles. They require a clear focus and a coherently developed structure on the level of paragraphs, sections, and whole texts alike. And, they are looking for a straightforward way to orient themselves and to read through the text.
This module focuses on such issues of textual organization from various perspectives. It combines practical work with critical textual analysis in order to understand how academic
writing is best organized, how the individual elements of a text work together, and what readers expect from a well-written academic text. In particular, Module 2 covers the following topics:
- understanding basic requirements of English texts;
- shaping the topic and main idea of a text;
- making paragraphs and texts well-focused;
- organizing paragraphs adequately;
- developing a logical and coherent textual structure;
- writing powerful introductions of research papers;
- motivating a research question or hypothesis;
- handling the writing process efficiently.
The module will be taught entirely in English. Thus, to participate and get the most out of it, you should be able to communicate quite fluently in English.
- olt161 Transferable skills / Scientific career