The Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment (ICBM) at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg invites applications for a
Research Scientist in Analytical Chemistry
The ICBM is an interdisciplinary research institute, performing fundamental and applied research in the marine sciences. The institute aims at understanding the function of marine environmental systems through close cooperation of the various scientific disciplines (chemistry, biology, physics, mathematical modelling) of its more than 20 research groups. The new research scientist will be part of the Research Group for Marine Geochemistry at ICBM.
- To establish and run our new high-field NMR facility at ICBM.
- Development of NMR applications for the molecular analysis of natural marine organic matter.
- Development of data processing tools for high-field NMR and ultrahigh-resolution FT-ICR-MS data.
- Advise students, peers and visiting scientist.
- Teaching of undergraduate and graduate courses.
- Preparation and presentation of results in project meetings, conferences and in scientific journals.
- Acquisition of external funding.
Required skills and experience:
- Academic university degree (Master or equivalent)
- PhD (or equivalent) in Analytical Chemistry or related fields.
- Postdoctoral research experience, preferentially in the molecular analysis of complex natural organic mixtures, such as marine dissolved organic matter.
- Strong record of scientific publications.
- Experience in or at least solid knowledge of multidimensional 1H NMR analysis of natural organic matter.
- Experience in multivariate statistics, and programming with software packages like "R" or "Matlab".
- Ability for and willingness to work in a multidisciplinary, international team and to communicate with external partners.
- Very good command of spoken and written English.
- Readiness for business travels and occasional participation on research cruises.
Application deadline: 31 May 2018
Starting date: as soon as possible
Appointment type: up to 5 years; after this period, permanent appointment might be feasible
Working hours: full-time; the position is suitable for part-time work
Salary: TV-L E13
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. International applications are explicitly welcome. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the University of Oldenburg. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore, we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
Applications, including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, qualifying documentation (final academic records, list of publications, evidence of external funding, teaching experience, prizes) should be submitted by email in a single pdf-file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Thorsten Dittmar (email@example.com) or Dr. Jutta Niggemann (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Universitätseigene Stellenausschreibungen werden ausschließlich erst nach Bestätigung durch die/den jeweilige(n) PersonalsachbearbeiterIn des Dezernates 1 und anschließender Weiterleitung hierher aufgenommen.