The Institute for Chemistry and Biology of the Marine Environment (ICBM) at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg invites applications for a
Postdoctoral Researcher, Ocean Biogeochemical Modelling
The ICBM is an interdisciplinary research institute, performing fundamental and applied research in the marine sciences. The institute aims at understanding the function of marine environmental systems through close cooperation of the various scientific disciplines (chemistry, biology, physics, mathematical modelling) of its more than 20 research groups.
The postdoctoral researcher will be part of the Research Group for Marine Geochemistry (Prof. Thorsten Dittmar) and closely collaborate with the Research Group for Mathematical Modelling (Prof. Bernd Blasius) at the ICBM. The research will focus on mathematical modelling of interactions between microbes and dissolved organic molecules in seawater, and the integration of the developed models into global ocean circulation models. Aim is a mechanistic model of dissolved organic matter (DOM) dynamics in the ocean, and the assessment of future scenarios. Parametrization and validation of the models can be achieved with help of extensive experimental and oceanographic data available at the ICBM.
- Advancing mathematical models on microbe DOM interactions that have been developed over the past years at the ICBM.
- Integration of these models into global ocean circulation models and validation.
- Assessment of the DOM pool for future global change scenarios.
- Advise students, occasional teaching.
- Preparation and presentation of results in project meetings, conferences, and in scientific journals.
Required skills and experience:
- Academic university degree (Master or equivalent).
- PhD (or equivalent) in Mathematical Modelling or related fields.
- Programming experience, optimally with background in numerical mathematics.
- Strong record of scientific publications.
- Ability for and willingness to work in a multidisciplinary, international team and to communicate with external partners.
- Very good command of spoken and written English.
- Willingness to spend a few weeks per year in our collaborators' labs abroad.
Application deadline: 31 May 2018.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
Fixed term: up to 5 years, with the option to achieve habilitation.
Working hours: full-time. The position is suitable for part-time work.
Salary: TV-L E13.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. International applications are explicitly welcome. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the University of Oldenburg. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. We are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
Applications, including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, qualifying documentation (final academic records, list of publications, evidence of external funding, teaching experience, prizes) and a one-page research statement should be submitted by email in a single pdf-file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to contact Prof. Dr. Thorsten Dittmar (email@example.com) or Prof. Dr. Bernd Blasius (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Universitätseigene Stellenausschreibungen werden ausschließlich erst nach Bestätigung durch die/den jeweilige(n) PersonalsachbearbeiterIn des Dezernates 1 und anschließender Weiterleitung hierher aufgenommen.