The group 'Experimental Physics of Complex Systems (EpkoS)' of the Energy and Semiconductor Research Laboratory (EHF) at the Physics Institute of the Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg offers
two PhD student positions
(research assistant), salary TV-L E13, 66 %, code: EFINED)
Project 'Heat transport in nonlinear energy filter systems'
in the field of physics and surface science for the period of 3 years, starting at the earliest possible date.
We developed a scanning tunneling microscope (STM) tip equipped with temperature sensor at the foremost end of the tip. By means of this tip we are able to determine the local heat flux between the sample surface and the STM tip. Therefore, we can study influences of different parameters on the heat flux or transfer with a high lateral and perpendicular resolution. In the course of the present project, a low in-house developed low temperature STM will be extended and improved to allow stable operation below 5 K. Micro-machined devices which are fabricated by our European cooperation partners are characterized by means of the low temperature STM and a commercial variable temperature STM both working under UHV conditions.
 U. Fleischmann-Wischnath et al.; Rev. Sci. Instrum. 79, 073708 (2008).
 L. Worbes, D. Hellmann, and A. Kittel; Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 134302 (2013).
 K. Kloppstech et al.; Nature Communications 8 (2017) doi:10.1038/ncomms14475.
Aims and topics:
- Improvement of an in-house developed low temperature STM
- Measurements of the heat transfer at different surfaces
- Development of a temperature sensor with enhanced sensitivity
- Collaboration with our partners in the European Community by characterizing devices
- Assistance in supervision of students (on the bachelor and master level)
- Academic university degree (Master or equivalent) above average in experimental physics or a closely related subject
- Profound knowledge of surface science
- Experience in preparation of samples for the investigation in surface science
- Very good English skills, German skills are helpful
Beneficial prior knowledge or experience:
- Scanning probe microscopy
- Low temperature physics
- Vacuum technology
- Programming skills
- Professional working environment on a high scientific level and well equipped laboratories
- Training in the fields of surface science, low temperature physics, basic research in electrodynamics, ultra-high vacuum technology, highly resolving sensors
- Participation in international workshops and conferences
The University of Oldenburg strives to increase the percentage of women in science. Therefore, female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. According to § 21, 3 NHG equally qualified female candidates will be given preference. Applicants with disabilities will be preferentially considered in case of equal qualification.
Please send your application including the usual documents (CV, graduation results, job references etc.) - preferably by e-mail as a single pdf-file - by April 6th, 2018:
Prof. Dr. Achim Kittel
Institute of Physik
Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg
D-26111 Oldenburg, Germany
Universitätseigene Stellenausschreibungen werden ausschließlich erst nach Bestätigung durch die/den jeweilige(n) PersonalsachbearbeiterIn des Dezernates 1 und anschließender Weiterleitung hierher aufgenommen.