Dr. Subhendu Chakraborty
Present Designation: Assistant Professor
● Ph.D. (Science), 2009, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India.
Title of the thesis: Nonlinear dynamics of nutrient-phytoplankton-zooplankton systems in
the presence of toxin producing plankton
Thesis Advisor: Prof. Joydev Chattopadhyay, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, India.
● Master of Science (Applied Mathematics), 2004, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India.
● Bachelor of Science (Mathematics), 2002, Vivekananda College, University of Calcutta, Kolkata, India.
Key Research Interests
My main research interest is in the field of 'Mathematical Biology' and particularly focuses on population dynamics. One of the central aims of my research is to understand when a biological system can be modeled at a population-based level and to use those models in order to monitor, forecast and control such systems. Specifically, my interest is to study non-linearity, spatial dynamics, disease dynamics and evolutions of different complex biological systems. My research uses mathematical models, applying methods from dynamical systems together with computer simulations. My mathematical interest focus on asymptotic dynamics, i.e. stability analysis, bifurcation analysis, oscillations, periodic solutions (forced or unforced), aperiodic dynamics and chaos. For numerical simulation and analysis, I mainly use MATLAB software along with other softwares like MAPLE, MATHEMATICA and XPP AUTO.
Areas of Interest
● Nonlinear dynamics
● Mathematical Modeling in Ecology/Biology
● Marine plankton dynamics and biodiversity
● Senior Research Fellow, Agricultural and Ecological Research Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata- 700108, INDIA, (14th Feb, 2008 - 22nd Sep, 2009).
● Junior Research Fellow, Agricultural and Ecological Research Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata- 700108, INDIA, (14th Feb, 2006- 13th Feb, 2008).
● 9th April 2010 - till date: Assistant Professor in Harimohan Ghose College, India, in the Department of Mathematics.
● 1st August 2005 - 31st January 2006: Lecturer (Visiting) in Victoria Institution (College), India, in the Department of Mathematics.
● Received award under the National Scholarship Scheme of the Government of India, 2004
● Received fellowship under the CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) Fellowship Scheme, 2005
● Received Humboldt Research Fellowship from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany for Post-Doctoral work in Institut für Chemie und Biologie des Meeres, Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg, Germany, from May 1, 2012 to April 30, 2014.
1. Chakraborty, S., Chatterjee, S., Venturino, E., Chattopadhyay, J. Recurring plankton bloom dynamics modeled via toxin producing phytoplankton. Journal of Biological Physics, (Vol. 33), pp. 271-290, (2007).
2. Chakraborty, S., Roy, S., Chattopadhyay, J. Nutrient-limited toxin production and the dynamics of two phytoplankton in culture media: A mathematical model. Ecological Modelling, (Vol. 213 (2)), pp., 191-201 (2008).
3. Bandyopadhyay, M., Chatterjee, S., Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J., Density dependent predator death prevalence chaos in a tri-trophic food chain model. Nonlinear Analysis: Modelling and Control, (Vol. 13 (3) ), pp. 305-324, (2008).
4. Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J., Nutrient-phytoplankton-zooplankton
dynamics in the presence of additional food source - a mathematical study.
Journal of Biological Systems, (Vol. 16 (4)), pp. 547-564, (2008).
5. Chatterjee, S., Venturino, E., Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J., A simple mathematical model for seasonal planktonic blooms. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, (Vol. 16), 1738-1750 (2009).
6. Chowdhury, T., Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J., Migratory effect of middle predator in a tri-trophic food chain model. Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, (Vol. 33), 1699-1711 (2010).
7. Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J. Effect of cannibalism on a predator-prey system with nutritional value: a model based study. Dynamical Systems, (Vol. 26 (1)), 13-22 (2011).
8. Chaudhuri, S., Chakraborty, S., Chattopadhyay, J., The effect of costs associated with toxin production in a competitive system. Journal of Biological Dynamics, (Vol. 5 (4)), 318-334 (2011).
9. Samanta, S., Chakraborty, S., Bhattacharya, S., Chattopadhyay, J. Fish kairomones, its benefits and detriments: A model based study both from releaser and acceptor perspective. Ecological Complexity, (Vol. 8(3)), 258-264 (2011).
10. Samanta, S., Chakraborty, S. Effect of vertical migration of zooplankton on the stability of eutrophic ecosysytems. Bull. Cal. Math. Soc , (Vol. 103(3)), 247-254 (2011).
Department of Mathematics
Harimohan Ghose College
J-206 & 208A, Paharpur Road
Garden Reach, Kolkata 700024
Residential and Mailing Address:
Vill-Khastika, P.O- Bakhrahat,
Dist.-24 Parganas (South)