Orientation Year for refugees
With the Orientation Year the University of Oldenburg offers an education programme specifically for people with a current refugee background.
The Orientation Year is aimed at refugees who want to prepare for starting or continuing university studies in Germany and acquire the necessary German language skills.
This programme includes
- language courses in which you can acquire the German skills needed for attaining the German university entrance qualification
- opportunities to get an idea of what studying a specific subject is like, including working with other students
- introductory and follow-on courses on academic working methods in Germany
- specific support and advisory services
The programme ties in with the university's regular language courses and degree programmes so that participants are integrated into the university community during their orientation year.
Participants in the Orientation Year programme are not awarded a university entrance qualification or an academic degree.
Participants are enrolled as guest students and are exempt from all fees.
Requirements for participation
The requirements for participation in the Orientation Year programme are:
- A current refugee background, proof of which must be provided in the form of a residence document (a preliminary residence authorisation »Aufenthaltsgestattung«, a residence permit »Aufenthaltserlaubnis« or a suspension of deportation certificate »Duldung«) issued within the last three years by a German Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde).
- Proof of valid university entrance qualification under the law of the respective country of origin (an officially certified copy of the document in the original language, as well as a translation into German by an authorised translator). For applicants who are unable to provide proof of university entrance qualification owing to the circumstances in which they left their home country, the Resolution of the Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of 03.12.2015 applies.
- Proof of German language skills at level A2 (completed level A1) or higher.
Information for applicants
The Orientation Year begins at the start of the summer and winter semesters with a German intensive course during the semester break.
Application deadline for the winter semester 2017/2018
The application must be submitted to the University of Oldenburg by May 15, 2017 for the winter semester 2017/2018.
Application deadline for the summer semester 2018
The application must be submitted by November 15, 2017 for the summer semester 2018.
Advice on the Orientation Year and the application procedure:
Phone: +49 (0)441 798-4783; Room A12 2-208
Tuesday: 10 am – 12.30 pm and 14.30 pm – 16.30 pm
Thursday: 10 am – 12.30 pm
Telephone enquiries are welcome any time outside our office hours.