International Relations Office

Health Insurance Coverage for EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens


If you need to consult a doctor or need medical treatment while travelling within the European Union or in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland you will initially have to pay the costs of the treatment in your host country. After having submitted the receipts to your insurance provider, whether private or state insurer, the costs will be reimbursed to the same amouint they would if they had been incurred for treatment at home; you must cover any costs in excess of that amount.

It may be advisable to take out additional private travel or international health insurance. To facilitate treatment during temporary visits abroad, every health insurance provider is obliged to issue its members with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Extended Visits

An extended visit abroad is a  visit that lasts a semester or an entire year. For extended stays within the EU as well as in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland, the following applies instead of the European Health Insurance Card for insurance:

As the European Health Insurance Card covers short visitsonly, it is important that you apply for German health insurance to receive full medical care. Citizens of the European Union, of the European Economic Area and of Switzerland who are employed in one country but live in another, so-called frontier workers or cross-border workers, are insured in the country of employment rather than in the country of residence. In order to receive medical care in your country of residence, you may apply to your health insurance provider for a S1 form (formerly E 106, E 109 and E 121). This document will entitle you and your dependants to receive medical services in the country you live in, but not work in, and in which you would otherwise not be insured.

See for useful information on social security rights and the forms you need when moving around within the European Union.


Further Information

  • At Euraxess you find health insurance providers with special offers for international researchers and fellowship holders