International Relations Office

Employment Regulations: A stay for the purpose of employment

A research stay in Germany that is based on a regular employment contract may differ in terms and conditions, depending on your home country:

EU Citizens, EEA Citizens, Swiss Citizens

EU citizens and EEA citizens do not need a residence permit as the freedom of movement for workers applies to you. Swiss citizens, however, need to apply for a residence permit as certification of that freedom.

Citizens of third states

All other foreign nationals who are seeking employment or will be doing research in Germany need a residence title that allows employment or research (a D visa/national visa or a residence permit). A residence title may be granted as a visa, temporary residence permit, EU Blue Card, permanent settlement permit, or EU permanent residence permit. An application for a residence permit has to be submitted to the Foreign Residents' Office (Ausländerbüro) in Oldenburg. Visa applications must be submitted to the German Embassy in the home country/current country of residence prior to arrival in Germany.



Employment in Germany:

Foreign Residents' Office


Studying and Working in Germany - access to the German labour market:

Federal Foreign Office

'EU Blue Card' - a residence title for foreign professionals to work and live in Germany.

Information on work permits:

Federal Employment Agency

Employment in another country of the Euopean Union:

European Commission