International Relations Office

Family Benefits:

Child Benefit

In Germany, parents are entitled to child benefit (Kindergeld) until the child turns 18 years old or until the child completes school education (including higher education at a university) or vocational training (apprenticeship), but only up to a maximum of 25 years and only to a certain income level of the child. Currently, parents receive a monthly child benefit of 190 Euro for the first and second child, 196 Euro for the third child, and 221 Euro for every other child. A family with four children, for example, may be entitled to a monthly child benefit of 797 Euro in total. Applications for child benefit need to be submitted in writing to the Familienkasse der Bundesagentur für Arbeit (the office of the federal employment agency for family benefits and payments).

Child benefit is granted to parents who have their place of residence in Germany. Parents whose income is not fully taxable in Germany may also receive child benefit, but only under certain conditions: they have to be in an insurance relationship with the Federal Employment Agency in Germany, work as an aid worker or missionary, work in a position under the German civil service law (civil servants), or receive a pension under the German pension law. It is also required that the child for whom parents claim child benefit has his or her place of residence in Germany or in a memeber state of the European Union (except for children of aid workers and missionaries). Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (in English) or on the website of the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth (in German).

Child Benefit for EU, EEA, and Swiss Citizens

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens are entitled to child benefit if their employment/workplace is in Germany or if their place of residence is in Germany.

Child Benefit for Citizens of other countries

Citizens of other countries who have their place of residence in Germany are also entitled to child benefit if they obtained a settlement permit or a residence permit that allows employment.



Visiting Address:

Familienkasse Oldenburg
Federal Employment Agency Oldenburg
Stau 70
26122 Oldenburg

Postal Address:

Familienkasse Niedersachsen-Bremen
30131 Hannover

Phone: 0800 / 4 5555 30
(nationwide and free of charge)

E-Mail: Familienkasse-Niedersachsen-Bremen(at)