Master of Distance Education (MDE)
- 2004 on Senior Lecturer in Institutional Research, Institute of Educational Technology, Open University
- 2002 – 2004 Assistant Director - Student Services, OU in the East of England
- 1998 – 2002 Director, OU Centre for Educational Guidance and Student Support [0.5 post]
- 2000 – 2002 Assistant Director Student Progress, OU in the East of England [0.5post]
- 1977 - 2000 Senior Counsellor, OU East Anglian Region [from 1998-2000, 0.5 post]
- 1968 – 1977 Lecturer, Silsoe Campus, Cranfield University, UK
- 1971 – 1972 Instructor, Hartford State Technical College, USA (exchange)
- 1966 – 1968 Lecturer, University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- 1974 – 1998 Associate Lecturer (part time) OU Science Foundation course
- 2003 - on Associate Lecturer (part time) OU Technology of Music course
- Simpson, O. (2008). Cost-benefit of student retention policies and practices. In W. J. Bramble, Panda, S. (Ed.), Economics of distance and online learning: Theory. practice, and research (pp. 162-178). New York, London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Simpson, O. (2005, 20-23 June). E-learning and the future of distance education in the markets of the 21st century. In A. Szücs, Bo, I. (Ed.), Lifelong e-learning proceedings: Bringing e-learning close to lifelong learning and working life: a new period and uptake. Paper presented at the. Helsinki University of Technology/Finland.: EDEN 2005 Annual Conference.
- Simpson, O. (2005). E-learning, democracy, and social exclusion: Issues of access and retention in the United Kingdom. In A. A. Carr-Chellman (Ed.), Global perspectives on e-learning: Rhetoric and reality. Thousand Oaks, London, New Delhi: Sage.
- Simpson, O. (2003). Student retention in online, open and distance learning. London, Sterling, VA: Kogan Page.
- Simpson, O. (2002). Supporting students in online, open and distance learning (2 ed.). London, New York: RoutledgeFalmer.
Ormond Simpson, Senior Lecturer in Institutional Research, Open University UK