The main emphasis our research is to gain an understanding on complex hydrodynamic and hydrochemical processes in the aquatic environment, in particular surface water-groundwater exchange, water-rock interaction, water and solute fluxes at both medium to landscape scale as well as the behavior of pollutants in groundwater. Additionally, we are interested in the role of water in ecosystems, in particular its interactions with soils and vegetation. For this purpose, we carry out field investigations, experimental work and analysis in the laboratory accompanied by numerical modeling.
Projects and research activities
- SPP Sea Level: Groundwater salinisation following sea level rise as a societal challenge of climate adaptation - The case of North-Western Germany
- TrinkWave: Operation strategies and technologies for water resuse to support drinkwater supply in urban areas
- BIME: Assessment of ground- and porewater-derived nutrient fluxes into the German North Sea - Is there a "Barrier Island Mass Effect (BIME)"?
- Development of operating strategies for an improved removal of organic micropollutants during the process of bank filtration
- Chronosequential initial evolution of soils and freshwater resources of a barrier island (example Ostplate Spiekeroog)
- Redox sensitivity and long-term persistence of organic trace pollutants in groundwater: Wastewater-bound compounds
Dissertations (working title)
- Wencke Appel: "Groundwater salinisation following sea level rise in North-West Germany"
- Hatem Elmarami: "Eutrophierung ehemals oligotropher Geestseen in Niedersachsen und die Rolle der Wechselbeziehung zwischen Oberflächenwasser und Grundwasser"
- Nele Grünenbaum: "Spatial and temporal variability of submarine groundwater discharge on barrier islands"
- Tobias Holt: "Hydrogeological evolution and dynamics of a young barrier island (Ostplate Spiekeroog)"
- Michael Horf: "Investigations on the fate of veterinary pharmaceuticals in the unsaturated zone"
- Anne Mehrtens: "From Manure to Groundwater -- The Fate of Veterinary Pharmaceuticals within the Aquatic Environment"
- Stephan Seibert: "Hydrochemical evolution of a young groundwater reservoir below a barrier island - from precipitation to groundwater discharge to the sea"
- Victoria Burke: "The impact of redox conditions on the attenuation of wastewater-derived organic micropollutants in groundwater" (2014)
- Thi Thuy Hang Nham: "Reactive transport modeling of organic trace compounds in groundwater" (2017)
- Tania Röper: "Formation, Characterization and Groundwater Flow Patterns of a Barrier Island Freshwater Lens (Spiekeroog, Northwest Germany)" (2014)