- Applicants must have successfully completed a regular academic programme in Engineering or Science (e.g. Physics, Mech. Eng., Electr. Eng.) of at least 7 semesters (210 CP)
Your final grade has to equal at least a Second Upper; most of our students graduated from their previous studies in the First Division.
Applicants have to provide certified proof of their English language competence (e.g. TOEFL, see below)
Professional experience in the field of or related to (Renewable) Energy and/or Rural Development is appreciated; mandatory for DAAD applicants.
Applications will be discussed by a selection committee selecting DAAD scholarships after the first deadline and all other participants after the second deadline.
- 15.10. of the year before entry (for DAAD applicants)
- 15.01. - 9 months before entry
(for all self-financed / other scholarships)
- Please apply online for the 2014 intake here as from August 15! Application is possible between August 15 and Jan 15 only.
How to apply
- Applicants for both deadlines have to use the link for online application. There is no possibility to hand in a paper application.
- Only (!) DAAD applicants from Myanmar, Nigeria and Cameroon need to hand in an additional paper application with notarized/certified copies. These candidates have to hand in their additional paper application at their local embassy to verify their documents (deadline July 31). This means that these applicants need to scan their documents before they hand them in to their respective embassy because they need to upload them in our online system, too!
- DAAD applicants are strongly advised to check www.daad.de for requirements and documents the DAAD asks for.
You will have to prepare and scan the following documents for your application and upload (!) them after registering and before the end of the deadline (jpg or pdf):
- Previous degree(s) in English (or German) and official proof that the duration of your first course of studies was at least 3.5 years (7 semesters / 210 CP) and can be placed in the Second Upper division or higher
- Detailed transcripts of records of your previous studies
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter, including research proposal; 2 pages max (the research proposal part is optional for non-DAAD applicants).
- Certificate of English language proficiency (TOEFL ibT 80, cbT 213, pbT 550; IELTS academic 6.0; Cambridge C1) or official statement from university that previous studies were conducted in English language. Native speakers of English are exempted.
- Reference letters from previous professors (at least 2; one can be replaced by a reference letter by your current or previous employer)
- Records of professional employment if available (official statement / recommendation from employer)
- Non-DAAD applicants only: official statement of financial coverage of 14,500 Euros (!)
- DAAD applicants only: application form (!) for a scholarship with relevance to developing countries from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Also, please be aware that the DAAD asks for additional documents; please read the requirements listed in their application form carefully.
Please see our FAQ if you have any questions about the above documents. We cannot check your application for completeness, so please compare with the confirmation emails you will get after uploading if you handed in everything we asked for. If you are missing documents and do not provide an explanation, we will have to disqualify you without warning, unfortunately, due to the high number of applicants.